Mick Harvey - When We Were Beautiful and Young



The first time I ever set foot in Lyttleton was a few months ago, to go and see my friends Mick Harvey and Amanda Acevedo perform at the Wunderbar. I really loved Lyttleton, to me it had a really surreal aspect to it which is hard to put into words, although I can see Dali spending some there quite easily. To top off the surrealism Mick and Amanda and I entered the stairway for the Wunderbar through the back door of the local supermarket. It was a great night. I'm heading back to Lyttleton tonight to perform myself at the Commoner's Bar. So, drop in from 7pm onwards if you want to see me and a bunch of other poets read their work.

Here's a song from Mick's new album "Five Ways to Say Goodbye" which comes out on the 10th of May. The three songs I've heard so far have been great among some of his best. You might know Mick's work from his time in Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, or his work with Anita Lane or PJ Harvey. (which reminds me to get back to work on a song which has spawned countless iterations, that Mick and I have made with bassist Rosie Westbrook).

Mick and Amanda, and another musician I've worked with, Terry Edwards, from the Tindersticks and also a collaborator of PJ Harvey are performing with a string quartet in London on May 26th, so check that out of you're if you're in olde London Town.

Here's the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV9r1Fm5ppk

Not so young perhaps, but still beautiful!